Broomhill is the prettiest of the inner Glasgow dormitory suburbs and much of it is now a conservation area. Most of Broomhill was built between 1890 and 1950, with the earliest remaining building in 1855, though Balshagray in Broomhill was mentioned in the 1100’s. When the railway yards were sold off in the 1970’s further more modern buildings were erected and in 2018 Broomhill Primary School was completely rebuilt.
This heritage trail lets you see Broomhill’s proud past and vibrant future. I hope you enjoy your 3 mile stroll which should take you around 150 minutes including a visit to one of the many coffee shops in the area. The trail begins in Hyndland Rail Station Platform.
italics denote optional elements of the route
|Up Steps and left and follow lane.
|Left Not original station. Created in 1960 as a result of Blue train electrification. Original is in Hyndland Road – Station Park
|Large under street reservoir, decorative lamp posts for former Lord Provost Robert Gray, sluice cabin Z
|Conservation area Naseby Park
|Go Round church
|Attractive Park, Geometric church by Stewart and Paterson 1902-03 Z
|Straight across up Elmwood Lane lane at
|New school opened in 2018 replacing one built in 1946.
|edge of playing pitches to student entrance
|Fine views to S of Whitelee windfarm and Firth of Clyde if one continues up Woodcroft/Edgehill Rd
|Follow lane round and cross Crow Rd opposite TA centre
|TA Centre with field gun
|Right, then U turn
|425/7 Crow Rd oldest buildings in Broomhill c1855
|Right, then U turn
|Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
|Straight on to Traffic lights then right
|Territorial Army centre, park and Kirktonholme Partick West Nursery opposite. Terminus of no 4 bus route. Site of Broomhill Farm at traffic lights.
|Victoria Park Gdns N
|first right, the left
|Victorian Mansions C-listed mansion
|Straight on. After lights walk on right hand side to see buildings better. Left at corner
|B Listed Broomhill Trinity Congregational Church 1900-8 by Burnett conversion at Victoria Park Gardens South c2010.
|Why not use underpass to get to Victoria Park and see the curling pond, the parakeets and the herons?
|42-56 Balshagray Drive- B listed 1888 unbroken line of neo Georgian terraces which faced original main entrance to Victoria Park before devoured by Clyde Tunnel approaches, Gaelic themed hotel. Top half is B Listed, Bottom Half 58+ is C-listed.
|Straight on then right
|Unbroken Victorian terraces. C-listed
|Straight on down hill and first left
|Unbroken Victorian terraces. C-Listed
|Broomhill Avenue and Green space
|Continue on lane between expressway and flats and exit through gates. turn R to roundabout
|Fine Victorian terraces 1871. Cream Victorian tenements in High Victorian design. C-Listed
|Cross road and climb hill
|Formerly Balshagray Public School by Bruce and Hay 1904, which became Anniesland College Annexe. Conversion into flats in 2017-18. C-Listed. High flats on right were housing for residents displaced by Clyde Tunnel building. Replaced 5 Victorian Villas.
|S to N Oswald Park, Hope Park, Beechwood, Broomhall, Larkhill. Beechwood connected to Madeleine Smith murder trial. Also AE Pickard of Panopticon fame. Dr John Brown designer of QE2 lived at 9 Marlborough Ave.
|Modern Church of Nazarene 1969-72 by N N Gilkinson with token spirelet, red then white then red Edwardian terraces B listed. InverClyde Gardens. Scottish Baronial style 1905. Followed by 1891-2 Italianate style terraces.
|Cross road and into lane
|Hidden gardens behind flats
|Stay on right hand side past restaurant
|Balshagray/Victoria Park church by Stewart and Paterson 1907-12. B listed. As is Broomhill Gardens 1888-91 terrace behind and terraces opposite. Clarence Court retirement home was allotments, then Ross’s dairy depot which was fine art deco building.
|Broomhill, as in the actual hill
|Climb hill behind restaurant and Scout Hut.
|*Bus stop is approximate summit of Broomhill approx 90ft elevation. Views to S into wet basin of former Fairfields shipyard. View to N of Kilpatrick and Campsie Hills Notched hill is Craigmore Hill
|Reverse route to Crow Rd, cross Crow Rd and bear R until reach narrow lane beside modern flats. Turn down lane on to Clarence Dr
|Tunnel which led to Thornwood – Partick West station – near police station on Dumbarton Rd. Crow Rd station was under bridge carrying Clarence Dr. You can see the platforms. Booking office and steps down to platform at Clarence Gardens where brickwork on parapet.
|Bear right and cross at island and turn R. Keep on pavement and left immediately after passing under railway
|Clarence Gdns was station and railway yard on line from Partick via Thornwood to Maryhill via Kelvinside (Gartnavel Hospital) Tunnel entrance under railway line. Site of signal box and marshalling yards. See what it looked like on Youtube Crow Road station at 1:25. Crow Rd station closed 1960 when blue trains commenced,but line used for freight until 1970 so track not lifted until 1971. Houses on right were originally on extensive goods yard which included Crow Rd retail park. Railway bridge originally had 7 tracks. Site of head on train crash in 1980 in which several injured. Former gunshop just before bridge. Conversion of Skoda garage into flats
|Left and through underpass to start
|Track to original Hyndland station curved round to right above underpass. Note mural which was part of Glasgow European City of Culture project by Hyndland School in 1990.
|Hope you found this interesting
Source Buildings of Scotland – Glasgow. McWilliams, Williamson, Riches and Higgs Penguin 1990. Also Broomhill Conservation Area document 2015
Listed Buildings in Broomhill
|Houses 425-7 Crow Rd
|C listed Circa 1855. 2-storey, 5-bay classical villa.
|Broomhill Church of Scotland, 64 Randolph Rd
|C Listed. Stewart and Paterson, 1902-5. 2nd pointed Gothic. Cruciform plan, with aisled nave, SW tower. Bull-nosed masonry with ashlar dressings. Buttresses boldly stepped to W. Plinth. Geometrical tracery with cusping to main windows.
|Broomhill Trinity Congregational Church Conversion 28-32 Park Gardens South
|B Listed. Sir J J Burnet, dated 1907, halls circa 1903. Gothic.
|Houses 42-56 Balshagray Drive
|B Listed. John Burnet, Son & Campbell, designed June 1888 for J Smellie builder. Long terrace of 8 substantial 2-storey, 5-bay houses
|Houses 58 + Balshagray Drive Southern Block
|C Listed. Northern block used as template for this.
|Houses 2 Broomhill Terrace, 1-3 Broomhill Ave
|C Listed c1860 in style of Charles Wilson
|Houses Broomhill Ave and Broomhill Drive
|C Listed c1860 in style of Charles Wilson
|C listed Former Balshagray Public School conversion. Donald Bruce and Edward A B Hay, 1904. Imposing, 3-storey, 12-bay, rectangular-plan, former Board School with symmetrical principal elevation in expressive Roman-Renaissance style with pedimented outer bays
|Houses 137-159 Broomhill Drive aka Inverclyde Gardens
|B Listed Architect, WM Whyte of 103 West Regent Street, Glasgow, circa 1905. 4-storey basement and attic tenement. Scots Baronial.
|Houses 206-216 Broomhill Drive
|B listed. Circa 1891-2. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical Italianate terrace of 2-bay houses
|Houses 6-10 Broomhill Gardens
|B listed. Circa 1888-91. Curving terrace of 5, 2-storey, 2-bay ashlar houses
|Balshagray Victoria Park Church, 230 Broomhill Drive
|B Listed. Stewart and Paterson, 1907-12 (foundation stone inside dated 30 May 1908). Cruciform church with halls adjoining at rear, in Arts and Crafts interpretation of Curvilinear/Perpendicular Gothic style
Sources Broomhill Conservation Area Appraisal – Glasgow CC 2015